Jack has awakened with a head cold. This is not going to be fun getting to Cairns, but hopefully it will break quickly.
Jack and Jess took Christian to swimming lessons while I packed for our trip and watched Hannah - or should I say Hannah watched me - every move, back and forth and hollered every time I disappeared from sight.
A quick trip to Sydney interrupted only by a brief side of road water-the-bush experience for Christian. Sydney airport was not too difficult to navigate. Our departure flight was delayed 45 minutes due to a late incoming flight.
The Mercure Cairns Harbourside welcomed us with its air conditioned coolness, and a party size balcony off our top floor room. The reception personnel were very accommodating in confirming our tour reservations for the next couple of days. So we are set for tomorrow morning's Great Barrier Reef excursion. However, our Wednesday tour, which we booked and prepaid is proving to be a challenge. They have been unsuccessful at finding the reservation. They are still working on this and will let us know tomorrow.
A free shuttle running from the hotel to central downtown made it easy to go for a quick round about in Cairns and a pizza at the Rattle 'n Hum curbside pizzeria and pub.
I noticed that 90% of the women here wear dresses - ranging from belt width miniskirts to full length flowing filmy material, but very few were wearing shorts, capris or long pants of any nature. By the time we returned to the hotel it was after dark but the heat and humidity had followed us into what should have been the cool reprieve of after sundown. We were both very happy to return to the coolness of our room.
Today's is a short one and I cannot post pictures from here.
I can't wait to tell you about the reef.
No comments:
Post a Comment